Teams are 30% more productive than individuals or groups. A high performance team however looks and feels different than a leader-led group. High Performance Teams (HPT) are committed to their common goal and approach and are willing to hold each other accountable. Our training series on teams is based on nearly three decades of experience in the implementation of workplace teams with such companies as Coca-Cola, the U.S. Navy, Alcoa, Green Mountain Coffee Roasters and Sanofi Pasteur.
When most people contact us it’s because either they are looking to form a higher level of thinking and doing with their workers or because they have attempted teams and are not seeing the results they want.
Here are some things to consider when thinking about teams:
- Improves productivity by 15-20% in 6 months and up to 30% in 18 months
- Drives accountability and responsibility to the floor level
- Creates a highly engaged workforce
- Prompts faster response to technological changes
- Appeals to the Millennial worker
- Improves focus of management on planning vs. fire-fighting
- Encourages great skill development
- Improves commitment to safety, quality, attendance, diversity
Characteristics of Effective Work Teams:
- Build a common goal and approach
- Share roles and responsibilities
- Accept that the team will go through phases of development
- Balance task, process and relationship needs
- Utilize personality diversity
Things That Must Be Addressed Before Launching Teams
- How wide/deep is the gap between where we are now and where we need to be?
- Will teams lead us where we need to be?
- What are the alternatives?
- How ready is the workforce for this change?
- What level of buy-in do we need from leadership/managers/coaches?
- How will we handle the learning curve?
- Are we in it for the long haul?
Teams are a means to an end. They are not the end. No organization should launch teams just to launch teams. Teams should be the vehicle to your overall goal. Ready to start a conversation around teaming? It’s free! Just give us a ring or send us an email